Gyantse Dzong, also known as Gyantse Fortress, is one the best-preserved dzongs in Tibet. It was constructed in 1390 to guard the southern side of the Tsangpo Valley and Lhasa. The fortress is also famous for its use by Tibetan forces to resist the British invasion of 1903 and 1904.
Gyantse Dzong sits on a small hill of over one hundred meters and is difficult to climb, being at an elevation of over 4,000 meters. The fortress itself is not open to tourists but the Palkhor Monastery (Kumbum Stupa) nearby affords a wonderful view of the fortress.