Travel Preparation


China runs on 220 volts with a variety of plug types. Most common are the two pronged straight plug (U.S. style) and three pronged angled (Australian style).

plug and socket

Most consumer electronics are rated at 100 to 220 volts. Generally cameras, phones and computers may need an adapter to fit in the plug but not a power converter.

If you have 3 prong USA style plugs you will need an adapter. You can pick up a cheap power strip in China which accepts most any plug in the world. You can also ask your hotel on arrival, many will have these on hand.

power strip

If your appliance is not rated for 220 volts, such as a hair dryer using 110 volts, do not plug it in or you will ruin it! Most hotels have hair dryers or will loan you one.

Adapters and Converters

Make sure you understand the difference between a plug adapter and a power converter. If your plug is not the right shape but rated for 110 to 220 volts, you just need an adapter to get your plug to physically fit in the wall. If your appliance is rated for 110 volts only and you want to plug it in, you will need a power converter which gives you the right voltage and amperage for your appliance.

Why Book With Us?

Our travel specialists and guides are there for you 24/7, from your first inquiry to the end of your trip
With over ten years of trip planning experience for a wide range of travelers, we are China experts
Our itineraries are all customizable and even adjustable while on tour to reflect your travel preferences
A stress-free travel experience so you can concentrate on the most important part of your tour: you

Five-Year Winner of the Certificate of Excellence on TripAdvisor

tripadvisor certificate of excellence

We are in TripAdvisor's Hall of Fame!

Our Popular Tours

Golden Triangle of China Golden Triangle of China
Beijing in 48 hours Beijing in 48 hours
Tale of Two Cities Tale of Two Cities